Wichita State University AmeriCorps VISTA Project
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers In Service to America) is service program administered by the Corporation for National and Community Service. Volunteers are placed in poverty-fighting organizations all across the US. With passion, commitment, and hard work, VISTAs create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
The Institute has developed a Wichita State VISTA project focused on connecting VISTAs with nonprofits, government and public health serving agencies statewide. VISTAs help support and expand efforts for serving those in need and reducing poverty in Kansas.
What Does An AmeriCorps VISTA Do?
- The role of the VISTA member is to build the capacity and sustainability of the project, organization and community, with a focus on reducing and alleviating poverty.
- VISTA members sustain the longevity of organizations by emphasizing volunteer policies, community partnerships, infrastructure, project evaluations and more.
- VISTA members commit to indirect services such as recruiting volunteers, coordinating projects, writing press releases, organizing task forces and more.
What Are the Benefits of becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA?
- Professional work experience
- Training opportunities
- Segal Education award valued at $5,775 to be used for loan payments or tuition costs OR an end-of-year cash stipend valued at $1,800
- Modest monthly living allowance
- Noncompetitive eligibility (one year) for qualified federal job positions
- Child care support (if eligible)
Apply to become a WSU VISTA
Complete an online application at MY.AMERICORPS.GOV and search opportunity listings with our project titled: “WSU VISTA.”
Apply to become a Site for a WSU VISTA
The WSU VISTA project partners with organizations and agencies whose missions and activities directly address poverty in our communities.
Contact Angela Gaughan, VISTA project specialist, regarding interest in becoming a VISTA site firstname.lastname@example.org or (316) 570-1309. Site applications (see link below) are submitted anytime.