AmeriCorps and VISTA
AMERICORPS PROGRAMS AT WICHITA STATE
Wichita State University sponsors two AmeriCorps programs: AmeriCorps State and AmeriCorps VISTA. Both are national service programs that place volunteers at nonprofit organizations and public agencies across the United States. Members serve in various positions to address unmet community needs and alleviate poverty. The bulk of an AmeriCorps State member’s hours would be in direct service (usually face-to-face service of direct benefit to the recipient). AmeriCorps VISTA members primarily provide indirect service, working behind the scenes to build the capacity of organizations.
To view current opportunities and to apply, search ‘WSU’ at https://my.americorps.gov/
To check out the impact our members are making visit our Facebook page at https://facebook.com/WSUVISTAFellows
- AmeriCorps State Members must be 17* years or older (*with parental consent)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Members must be 18 years or older
- Must hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident
- Must be able to pass a national service criminal history check and any criminal history checks required by the site where the member will be serving
AMERICORPS STATE: BE THE GREATER GOOD
WSU’s AmeriCorps State members put their passion into action by serving part-time at local nonprofit organizations, taking on a unique program or project that will help the organization better serve its clients and our community. Members work on projects to mentor students, engage with families, increase capacity for leadership, and provide direct services. Current host sites include Children First: CEO Kansas, Inc., Legacy Ministries, Inc., Girl Scouts of the Kansas Heartland, and Rainbows United, Inc. Make a difference doing something you love – join AmeriCorps! (The number of hours and dates of service vary per site).
An AmeriCorps member’s role
- To increase the capacity of organizations with a focus on reducing and alleviating poverty
- To increase support of local programs by expanding opportunities for youth participating in summer camps, assisting in classrooms with children under age 6, supporting employment opportunities and more
- To commit to direct service such as assisting children one-on-one with mentoring and homework, connecting with students who struggle in class (with mental issues or getting to school regularly), and assessing family needs with access to food and basic needs and more
- Valuable experience leading groups, organizing, training, mentoring, implementing programs, and communicating
- Professional development opportunities
- Flexible schedule
- Segal Education award to be used for loan payments or tuition costs – approximately $1,600 for quarter-time positions and $3,100 for half-time positions
- Modest monthly living allowance
AMERICORPS VISTA: GO WHERE YOU’RE NEEDED
With passion, commitment, and hard work, VISTAs (Volunteers in Service to America) create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Members serve full-time in a variety of positions with an organization. The WSU VISTA project connects VISTAs with nonprofits, government, and public health-serving agencies across the state of Kansas.
A VISTA member’s role
- To support, grow, and sustain projects, organizations or communities, with a focus on reducing and alleviating poverty
- To sustain the longevity of organizations by supporting volunteer policies, community partnerships, infrastructure, project evaluations and more
- To commit to indirect services such as recruiting volunteers, coordinating projects, writing press releases, organizing task forces and more
- Professional work experience
- Training opportunities
- Segal Education award valued at $6,345 to be used for loan payments or tuition costs OR an end-of-year cash stipend valued at $1,800
- Modest monthly living allowance
- Noncompetitive eligibility (one year) for qualified federal job positions
- Childcare support (if eligible)
AGENCIES: PARTNER WITH WSU & APPLY TO BECOME A WSU VISTA SITE
The WSU VISTA project partners with organizations and agencies whose missions and activities directly address poverty in their communities.
For more information contact Angela Gaughan, VISTA project specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org or (316) 570-1309.
For information about other AmeriCorps programs visit https://americorps.gov/